England Golf to Launch New SafeGolf Accreditation
Wednesday 19th September 2018
England Golf is launching a new SafeGolf accreditation for clubs which meet high standards to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people.
Nick Pink, England Golf Chief Executive, commented: “Providing a safe, welcoming place for children and young adults has to be the most important thing we can all do for our sport. At England Golf we want everyone to have a safe, fun and positive experience in golf. I know clubs support this and will be very keen to get this accreditation and demonstrate their commitment to safeguarding to parents and carers.”
The SafeGolf accreditation will be launched in the first week of October. To achieve it clubs will meet the standards for safeguarding which are already part of the GolfMark Award.
· Adopting the England Golf safeguarding policy and communicating this to members, visitors, staff and volunteers
· Ensuring safeguarding procedures are in place
· Ensuring procedures are in place to recruit and use staff and volunteers who work with children
· Appointing a club welfare officer, with a clear role description and training
· Providing regular training in safeguarding and child protection for professionals, staff and volunteers who work with children.
SafeGolf is a UK & Ireland safeguarding partnership which promotes a safe and positive environment for everyone in the sport. It offers a website – www.safegolf.org – through which anyone with a concern about the welfare of a player, or the behaviour or practice of a coach, volunteer, organiser, parent or a player, can contact the lead safeguarding officer at their national governing body. The SafeGolf accreditation for English clubs is an extension of the service.
Members of SafeGolf include: England Golf, Wales Golf, Scottish Golf, Confederation of Golf in Ireland, the Professional Golfers’ Association, Ladies European Tour, the Golf Foundation, Golf Club Managers’ Association, the British and International Golf Greenkeepers Association and The R&A.